Sunday, February 21

falling in lust with military jackets

as a big-time antimilitarist, I can allow only this much military in my life.

jackets with military accents have been around for a while now. they are such characteristic, attractive, stylish items. as much as I adore them, at first I thought this trend would be quickly over-used -I love fashion but not being a fashion victim-, and tended to shy away from it, like I do with anything too temporary -except my little black "military cardigan" from H&M I've had for a while, which doesn't really give that effect.

these lovelies are sticking around for a little bit longer, and luckily it didn't become one of those "so many people has worn it's now nauseating" kind of trends, and I finally dared to grab one. during my stay in London, I picked up a navy military jacket with gold accents from H&M (no idea why H&M became my main military-inspired garnment supplier, really). I couldn't be happier with it. it fulfills my intense passion for statement pieces.
my inspirations:
Prussian military uniforms, 1786.

The Beatles, circa Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band.
 

Michael Jackson's jackets.

Balmain, with these two legendary jackets from s/s 2009 collection, is the one to blame for this trend. did you know that MJ was planning to wear Balmain in his last tour? another reason to say it would be fantastic.
I've been browsing street style websites for alternative combinations with military jackets. seems like the opportunities are just about endless!

some celebrity inspiration -though it's never as good as street style. real people do it better.
Lindsay Lohan's way is surprisingly sweet and fresh, it's definitely a hit to me.



from balmain to forever 21, you can spot military jackets (or orchestra, as some say) everywhere.
forever 21/ sportsgirl / oli
H&M(this is the one I have, but mine is navy) / forever 21 / marc jacobs
fred flare / forever 21 / forever 21
3.1 philip lim / balmain / dorothy perkins
balmain

asos / ralph lauren/ asos

I think these styles leave the door open for you to get creative- you can wear your military jacket just about any way. just one thing to remember: try to avoid a full-on military look, it's costume-y not cool. it's a piece with a life, a stand of its own that adds some instant edge to your wardrobe-you can use it to liven up a plain outfit or mix it with other striking items in an eclectic manner.

here's a couple ways to wear military jackets I put together:

let yourself free and play it up! for a fresh, youthful and creative look, combine your jacket with a marine-inspired striped sweater, jean shorts and red wellies. complete with a swipe of rich tomato-red lipstick (try MAC lipstick in lady bug, my all-time favorite red) and minimal makeup elsewhere. you can add tights depending on the weather. very teen vogue!

military jacket
military jacket, popsiclepout tarafından H&M jackets ile yaratıldı
.
pair it with muted basics, such as a simple white top, washed skinny jeans and high-heel black ankle boots (or basic flats for a casual look) to make your jacket stand out. a nude pink clutch and gentle berry stained lips (I've been in the search for the perfect berry lipstick/stain for all my life , please let me know if you think you know one) will keep you from looking washed out, while letting the jacket pop.
military jacket
military jacket, popsiclepout tarafından Balmain jackets ile yaratıldı

combine your military jacket with retro feminine essentials such as a floral dress, ballet flats and a classic tote for an uber-cool, eclectic finish.
military jacket

much love.

3 comments:

Gigi said...

I didnt like them before this post!
now Im starting to fall for them

deniz said...

haha thanks, mission accomplished then :)

Gaia said...

I like them but I still didn't find "my perfect model" they are always too short or to tight!

Have a great week!